Daily Life at Camphill Communities California
“Seek the truly practical life, but seek it in such a way that it does not blind you to the spirit working in it. Seek the spirit, but seek it not out of spiritual greed, but so that you may apply it in the genuinely practical life.”
Currently, Camphill California is a community with eight homes that include two large licensed residential homes, five small homes and one home for our residents aging in place.
- Meals are prepared and eaten in a community setting and house members share responsibilities and decision-making.
- Members of our large and small homes support one another and form cooperative “neighborhoods”.
- Once a week, all of the houses come together for Lunch Café, a community-building event when everyone enjoys a delicious meal together.
Camphill California offers an innovative and rich array of programs that nurture the heart, soul and mind of every person. Our day program includes:
- Outdoors / Working the land
- Artistic endeavors
- Cooking and baking (including Lunch Cafe)
- and more!
Cultural & Spiritual Life
Camphill California is inspired by the teachings of Rudolf Steiner, a philosopher and social reformer. It is founded on the principles and ideals of Dr. Karl König, an Austrian pediatrician who created the intentional community movement for children and adults with special needs.
- Plays, dramatic readings, expressive movement, singing and theraputic music are all essential ingredients of Camphill life.
- Individuals are encouraged to take part in artistic activities as a means of self-discovery, relationship-building and as a way of engaging with the world and the universe.
Learn more about joining Camphill Communities California as a volunteer!
Learn more about joining Camphill Communities California as a Camphill Academy student!
Learn how to best support the work that Camphill Communities California is doing!
Learn more about joining Camphill Communities California as a friend with special needs!